Resources for Age Appropriate Health Related Screenings: Vision, Speech/Language, Hearing, and Developmental (including sensory, cognitive, gross motor, fine motor, and socio-emotional)
The Infant & Toddler Connection (ages birth to 2 years old)
Child Find (ages 2 to 5 years old)
- Milestones of Child Development
- 20 Actions that Strengthen Family Relationships
- Alternatives to Screen Time
- Building Core Capabilities for Life
- Social and Emotional Development
- Early Childhood Mental Health
- 7 Tips for Discliplning your Toddler
- It’s Potty Time!
Health and Safety
- Heatstroke Safety Tips
- Child Dental Health
- Mold Activity Book for Families English Spanish
- Safe Sleep for Infants
- Vaccinations and Preventable Diseases English Spanish
- Importance of Well Child Care
- Finding Help in a Domestic Violence Situation
- Information on Cerebal Palsy:Cerebral palsy is a developmental disorder and leading cause of disability in young children. Approximately 8,000 babies and between 1,200 and 1,500 preschool-age children are diagnosed each year.
Cerebral palsy occurs as a result of a brain injury sustained during fetal development or birth. However, because the symptoms of CP affect a child’s coordination and independent movement, the injury is not always diagnosed right away, especially when the symptoms are mild.
Parents usually notice that something is wrong when a child fails to reach developmental milestones such as:
City of Alexandria Social Services Resources
The Center for Children and Families provides programs and services for Behavioral Health, Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault, Child Welfare & Child Protective Services, Early Childhood and Youth Development.